The Samuel Woods Witt house, on the Rockfish River in Nellysford, Virginia, is now a bed and breakfast called The Meander Inn.
Samuel Woods Witt acquired the property and 100 acres in 1906; he appears to have had the house built in 1913. His daughter Katie Margaret Witt (married name Dawson, later Wilson) acquired the property after S. W. Witt's death in 1948; William D. Witt (probably a relative) bought the place in 1966, and held it until 1980.
S.W. Witt had a general store at Nellysford in 1906; S. W. Witt & Bro. operated a saw mill at Nellysford, 1906; and S.W. Witt and J. W. Witt (probably his brother John Will Witt) had a grist mill at Nellysford, 1911-1917.
There was a mill on the property, called Coleman's Mill, in the late 19th century; it seems to have been destroyed ca. 1925.
In an obituary notice, Waynesboro News-Virginian, Nov. 26, 1948, p. 2., Samuel Woods Witt was described as "a retired and well-known farmer" and a member of Rockfish Valley Baptist Church, where the burial was to take place.
Information furnished by:
John E. Wells
Richmond District VDOT