The Rockfish post office was part of a busy rural community in the late 1800s and early 1900s. This particular building was apparently delivered by train in 1910. It was taken out of service in 1985.
The post office was a community gathering place where almost everyone came and waited for the mail to come. The mail was delivered by trains coming into the nearby depot.
The post office is located on Rockfish River Rd (Nelson County Rt. 617), next to the railroad crossing, on the river side of the road.
As the story goes, Miss Mary and Miss Eliza Rhodes were at the post office on the day that a fire swept through the area and destroyed their house. Shortly after this, the Rhodes land--which had belonged to Robert P. Rhodes and Mildred Marshall Rhodes--was sold out of the family.